Meaningful relationships are everything. Deep satisfaction, joy, passion and pleasure flow out of our ability to build a foundation of trust with others. With advanced training in today’s best methods for improving relationships and moving past difficult life experiences (Emotionally Focused Therapy, EFT and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, EMDR), I’d love to help you on your path.
When communication with your significant other ends in frustration and the closeness that you long for seems elusive, I know there is hope for you. Using EFT, I can help you understand the negative relational pattern in which you’re caught. We can then restructure your bond by uncovering your deeper unmet needs and creating a safe haven in which you two can accept the tender and vulnerable places within each other. With new, positive relational patterns, we can help you two solve old problems in your relationship from a new lens of warmth and caring. I will guide you to experience a closer, more satisfying bond through the process of creating safe, trusting patterns that build connection.
In addition to relationship therapy, I specialize in healing from the effects of trauma and challenging life experiences. The feelings and thoughts attached to painful past experiences can steal the potential richness of the present. Ways of coping that were helpful to survive a difficult past may be hindering current mental, physical, social, and spiritual health. It’s natural in a disturbing event to have stress responses such as fight, flight, or freeze instincts. When distress remains, the upsetting images, thoughts, and emotions may create feelings of overwhelm, of being back in that moment, or of being “frozen in time.” EMDR therapy helps the brain process these memories and allows normal healing to continue. The experience is still remembered, but the fight, flight, or freeze response from the original event is resolved. Extensive research on EMDR supports that we can heal from traumatic experiences in body, mind, and spirit, if you’ll join me.
I bring a non-judgmental, empathetic, and holistic view to counseling. I want to collaborate to understand your unique cultural beliefs and values. If you are a marginalized gender, ability, status, sexuality, or person of color then a space to process discrimination is crucial. Lived experience should not be prejudged and curiosity to understand is a priority. We are designed for whole-body healing and treatment can reflect this focus through practical tools to tap into the body/brain/relationship connection. I will remind you of your strengths and positive qualities. It is not hard for me to see a higher plan even when you are at your lowest.
In my free time, I spend a lot of time with my active family. I like to hike, run 5k and 10k races, watch movies, explore the mountains, and garden. I also love to play piano, and I was actually nominated for a Canadian CMA award for best Jazz/Blues Composition back in 2007!
- Couples therapy
- Treating anxiety and depression
- Healing from trauma and PTSD
- Working with medical professionals
- Identity-formation and boundary-setting
- Rebuilding after narcissistic abuse
- Working on social skills as well as creating and keeping healthy friendships (for those with and without neurotypicality)
- Masters of Arts, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Denver Seminary
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Liberty University
Advanced Professional Training
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) Training:
- EFT Core Skills Training with EFT Trainer Dr. Robert Allan
- Intensive EFT Externship Training with EFT Trainers Dr. Lisa Palmer and Dr. Robert Allan
- I am constantly growing and developing my EFT skills by accessing the expertise of multiple trainers, consultants and highly experienced supervisors
- Prepare and Enrich Premarital Counseling Certified
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) Level 1 training with Dr. Elizabeth Legg
Reach out to Get Started (I Work Online or in Fort Collins, CO):